There are several effective methods to fight odor, but you must first identify the problem. To prevent the smell, the unit should be regularly rinsed with special means.
How do you get rid of the bad smell in the dishwasher?
After finding out the reason for the smell in the machine, you need to figure out how to get rid of it. First of all, it is very important to know what you should avoid:
- different cleansers, which include chlorine;
- washing powder;
- cleaning products, which include abrasive particles.
These substances will not remove the smell. Though they can cause damage to metal parts, which may then corrode. The first and foremost method to get rid of the annoying smell is the physical cleaning. The internal area of the dishwasher easily gets dirty. Here the work process takes place, and all the deposits from hard water, detergent, and food leftovers remain inside the machine. With time it affects work efficiency. But you can minimize this risk by regular cleaning.
Clean the strainer 2-3 times a month. Its surface quickly gets clogged with fat and small particles of food. It inevitably leads to an unpleasant odor and a possible leak through the seals. To wash the filter directly, you need to remove it from the machine. Usually, it is located on the “bottom” of the washing chamber. First, remove the lower basket, then turn the protruding part of the filter, following the direction of the arrow.
Wash the filter with warm water and special detergent. Replace the filter after the procedure is completed.
These parts also accumulate scale and grease on their surface. To clean the blades, remove them from the dishwasher and carefully wash under running water. All holes must be cleaned with a fine toothpick or needle. The water is supplied through them to the washing basket. And even the slightest clogging leads to low-quality washing performance.
If the blades rotate poorly after installation, it is also necessary to remove grease and the scale from the axle.
It is worth cleaning door every few months using special tools. The entire cleaning process is divided into two stages:
Hard-to-reach places are cleaned with a toothbrush soaked in a cleanser.
Wet rubber seals are wiped dry with a cloth.
But try to avoid using vinegar or citric acid. They corrode rubber, making it less elastic. Over time, such seals will fail to hold water.
Cleaning the basket and inside area.
Washing baskets require regular cleaning. Although the basket is constantly washed with water, fat and food particles still remain on its surface. You can wash this piece of equipment using any suitable means. After cleaning, wipe the basket thoroughly with a dry towel. Only then install it back in the dishwasher. Do not forget to inspect the inside area of the machine and its door. The dirt accumulates here as well.
Why does my dishwashing water have a bad odor?
The unpleasant and pungent smell may appear just after a couple of cycles in a new dishwasher. Then, the most likely reason for it is low quality plastic. It usually disappears in a few weeks, according to users. However, often the smell has rot, mold, or even wastewater nature.
- If you notice some smell on the kitchen items after washing, there may be a reason in the water that remains at the bottom of the hopper and behind the seal. When the dishes are washed, some water may remain at the bottom of the chamber. If you close the door leaving some water in, microbes begin to develop. And it is the reason for the smell.
- In case you do not follow the operating rules, the machine starts to produce smells of plastic or glue. It happens when you loading plastic containers or other items that are not allowed for a dishwasher.
- If you feel some chemical odor, then change the detergent. Ideally, dishes after washing should not smell at all. When choosing powders and rinsing agents, give preference to odorless products.
- If the smell reminds burnt wires, immediately disconnect the machine from the mains. And remove the plug from the outlet. Do not switch on the dishwasher until the cause of the malfunction is determined.
- If there is a persistent sewer smell, you need to check whether the drain is connected correctly. If the connection is direct, a certain distance from the floor surface must be maintained, and a certain bend of the drain must be provided. Otherwise, sewage drains will easily flavor the dishwasher chamber.
Why does dishwasher smell like rotten eggs?
The main cause is microorganisms: staphylococci, Escherichia coli, molds, and other abominations. The appearance of a rotten odor in the washing machine indicates that colonies of harmful bacteria have formed somewhere inside the unit. Their reproduction requires heat and humidity, and a washing machine is a perfect place in this respect. What are we doing wrong?
The reasons are as follows:
- We close the dishwasher door right after the wash cycle. And the moisture inside creates favorable conditions for the development of bacteria.
- We save energy. Washing at low temperatures does not destroy microorganisms. It requires water of 90 ° C. The saving modes create the most comfortable environment for colonies to grow. Express wash cycles cannot cope with fat remains on the plates. This grease builds up inside the machine and overtime starts to smell bad.
- We use low-quality powder. The same applies to the rinse aid. Hence, they are not completely soluble in water and the particles remain on the working elements of the dishwasher. This plaque is a breeding ground for bacteria.
- We do not adhere to the dosage. It is not occasionally that manufacturers state the amount of washing powder to use. The excess quantity settles inside the machine.
- Hard water. The numerous salts and organic particles contained in tap water settle on the heating element. Over time, the deposits build up and accumulate at the bottom of the device, thus creating good conditions for the growth of microorganisms.
- Food remains. Food can rot on a filter grid that does not allow the larger pieces through.
- The drain hose should be located at a height of 40 to 100 cm below the sink. If these requirements are violated, there will be no necessary drainage of water into the sewer. Consequently, it will start to smell.
- After cleaning all filters and eliminating the source of unpleasant odor, it is recommended to clean the dishwasher with citric acid. 1-2 washing cycles at 90 degrees with citric acid will relieve your machine from bad odors for a long time.
How do you keep your dishwasher from smelling?
Proper care can protect your kitchen appliance from smelling. You just need to adhere to the following routine:
- From time to time check the location of the drain hose. It should be located properly. Otherwise, the wastewater will not go into the sewer completely, and it will start to mold.
- Carefully clean food remains from the dishes before washing.
- Put a slice of lemon every now and then into the instrument compartment. Citric acid removes odors and dissolves fats.
- Switch on the rinse mode after loading the dishes inside the unit, if you do not want to wash them immediately.
- It is recommended to clean the machine properly every two months.
Regular care of the dishwasher is much easier, faster, and less expensive than to remove the old dirt and its persistent unpleasant odor.
The bad smell is not just ugly but can lead to a negative consequence. If you forget to clean your dishwasher on time, it will react with poor performance or a complete failure.